Tactical Value? [was: VX-8R Symbol/SSID (Was Re:[aprssig]YaesuVX-8R)]

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Fri May 23 19:10:19 UTC 2008

"Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>, Thu, 22 May 2008 15:07:01 -0400

>Because not one boat manufacturer has embedded APRS into its
>communication architecture.  And I have never seen anyone hold a
>boat in their hand and use it to communicate with another boat
>held to ones ear...

No, but the boats - if equipped with a GPS navigation system and a
digital marine VHF - can report their position via VHF, and the NMEA
bus can (at least through a sort of hub) feed even ham radio systems
with their NMEA packets. And with AIS onboard one can see other boats
and be seen by them.

73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway