[aprssig] APRS needs...

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon May 26 19:11:03 UTC 2008

--- "Wes Johnston, AI4PX" <wes at ai4px.com> wrote:

> There one was a guy in Charleston SC kr1st, who used
> a cybiko kids'
> messenger toy to send aprs.  Wonder what kids toys
> could be hacked with the
> clamshell qwerty form factor?

For a while, I was getting into hacking the ZipIt IM

Decent sized graphic PCD, QWERTY keyboard, built-in
Wifi and even has a serial port with the addon of an
ST202 IC.  The really cool part...it runs on embedded
linux.  However, I am too crummy of a programmer to do
anything with it on my own.

They have a new color, backlit version now:

Not sure if it still runs Linux.

I am still a member of the Yahoo group, which used to
be very active, but it has been dormant for some time
now.  There were a few hams on there at one time
looking for ways to use it for ham applications.  Not
sure if any of them were APRS-interested, though.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics