[aprssig] "Blind" APRS

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Sat Nov 8 21:48:32 UTC 2008

Steve Noskowicz <noskosteve at yahoo.com>, Sat, 8 Nov 2008 09:59:46 -0800

>   We may be drifting OT, but one more comment.

All OK Steve.
Not too off topic, though, as long as we are talking of APRS
messaging. When transforming numbers to speech said by a computer, I
think it would be better to speak each single digit and the decimal
separator than to combine digits and speak them as -teen and -ty.

>>... MHz, or 14253,55 kHz. (the , being the european decimal
>> separator).

>I'm aware of this.  What do folks and/or speech synthesizers *speak* for this?  "comma"?  "point"?

At least in the germanistic languages German, Nordic (and probably
also in english) "komma" is used.

The attempts to make APRS more accessible for blind radio amateurs are

73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway