[aprssig] Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 3 20:34:44 UTC 2008

> Scott, were you able to overcome the issue
> where the Nuvi creates a new waypoint every
> time it receives a position report, vs.
> updating existing waypoints?

When I first heard of this problem, I thought it was a show
stopper...  But then realize, that it is actually a nice
feature... It lets you see someone's track history!

And in my use of my mobile APRS display GPS, I am only usually
intererested in the here-and-now, and not all the past 500 old
stagnat stations and objects on my GPS map.  In fact, I'd like
to start each trip with a clean slate and clean map so the only
calls on there are the ones I am hearing NOW, not that I have
accumulated over weeks (all mobiles being in the WRONG place

So actually, I can see the NUVI even with this "problem" as
being a perfect match for my tastes, and I just clear all APRS
waypoints each time I begin a trip...  This makes APRS the
real-time system I want, not a bunch of dead-dogs on the

Scott, is there an easy way to clear all "APRS waypoints" witout
clearing any manually entered waypoints?