[aprssig] RC-D710 APRS display head on an old IC-2AT HT

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 20:46:51 UTC 2008

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Wow, a handheld D710.
> I just noticed that the RC-D710 APRS display head has a spec
> voltage of 9 to 11 volts.  Since 8 nicads would give 8.8 to 11.2
> volts, I think I will give it a try.
> 8 NiCd's taped to the back of the Display Head, will let me use
> it with any HT (without having to purchase the $80 PG-5J
> interface which contains the 10 volt regulator) Maybe.
> Anyone done this?  Here is my schematic I am working on:
> www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/RC-D710-connx-pwr.GIF
> Bob, WB4APR

1)   What is this diagram trying to say?

Does the D710 head have a 6-pin Mini-DIN connector on it?  Or is it the
RJ-45 plug?  (The Mini-DIN pinout looks like the standard used on many
Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu radios with the mini-DIN "packet/data" connector on

Does this mean a standard mini-DIn-6 to mini-Din-6    KVM   cable will
connect the radio TX/RX/DCD/PTT signals (but not DC power) to the head ?

2)  I thought you had moved all the APRS stuff off the USNA server......

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

World Digipeater Map

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide

Symbols Set for UI-View,