Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[aprssig] Another Bootlegger?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Jan 6 20:03:11 UTC 2009


RF to Internet is of no legal concern. The reverse is NOT true, the  
responsibility for anything on the APRS IS which is transmitted on RF  
is SOLELY the responsibility of the IGate operator.

Steve K4HG

On Jan 6, 2009, at 2:57 PM, John Vause wrote:

> "APRS-IS traffic is not governed by FCC Part 97 rules, so profanity  
> is not technically an issue."
> I understand that; still, I'm not willing to allow the traffic to  
> pass.
>
> "from a legal (part 97) standpoint the IGate operator has _no_  
> obligations
> on RF to IS traffic."
>
> Then why are people so upset about the entire issue? Let the FCC  
> track him
> down and enforce the regulations. (Said in jest - I know what the  
> chances of that are: "slim and none".)
>
> 73
>
> Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:15 AM, John Vause <jdv at iglou.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What if this "bootlegger" decides to send profane email through  
>>> the IGATES?
>>> Wouldn't most IGATE sysops bother to manage their IGATES then?
>>>
>> APRS-IS traffic is not governed by FCC Part 97 rules, so profanity is
>> not technically an issue.
>>
>> As decentralized as the IGate system is, attempting to block these
>> rogue operators is not terribly practical, IMO.  Yes, if I were
>> running an IGate I'd probably do so, but from a legal (part 97)
>> standpoint the IGate operator has _no_ obligations on RF to IS
>> traffic.
>>
>> -Jason
>> kg4wsv
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> aprssig mailing list
>> aprssig at tapr.org
>> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>>
>>
>>
>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
>> Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.3/1878 - Release Date:  
>> 01/06/2009 7:56 AM
>>
>>
>
> -- 
> *   My favorite law: The Law of Unintended Consequences   *
> *                                -- John Vause            *
> *                                                         *
> *   You can fool yourself if you want, and you can fool   *
> *   as many as will follow for as long as you can get     *
> *   away with it. But you can't fool reality.             *
> *   - James P. Hogan in "Kicking The Sacred Cow"          *
> *                                                         *
> *   Si vis pacem, para bellum - Cicero                    *
>
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
> Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.3/1878 - Release Date:  
> 01/06/2009 7:56 AM
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig




More information about the aprssig mailing list