Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 55, Issue 22

eseacord at cloud9.net eseacord at cloud9.net
Mon Jan 19 19:31:00 UTC 2009



   Hi gang

   New York State specifically exempts ham as we are also considered  
emergency vehicles to an extent. I don't know the law offhand but you  
can find it by looking it up on New York States DMV web site.

   Regards

   Quoting aprssig-request at tapr.org:

> Send aprssig mailing list submissions to
>         aprssig at tapr.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         aprssig-request at tapr.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         aprssig-owner at tapr.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of aprssig digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re: Somewhat OT - Seeking Ham-friendly mobile cell
>        banlegislation? (Gary)
>     2. Re: Somewhat OT - Seeking Ham-friendly mobile cell
>        banlegislation? (Mark Fellhauer)
>     3. Re: Programming Language Advice (Jeff N0JUH)
>     4. Re: Programming Language Advice (Tapio Sokura)
>     5. Re: Programming Language Advice (J.C. Wren)
>     6. Re: Programming Language Advice (Chuck.Gooden at comcast.net)
>     7. Re: Programming Language Advice (J.C. Wren)
>     8. test.....please ignore. (Chuck Gooden)
>     9. Re: Programming Language Advice (Ray Wells)
>    10. Re: Programming Language Advice (Ray Wells)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:28:30 -0800
> From: "Gary" <n6lrv at cox.net>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Somewhat OT - Seeking Ham-friendly mobile cell
>         banlegislation?
> To: "'K7FTP'" <k7ftp at k7ftp.net>, "'TAPR APRS Mailing List'"
>         <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID: <003601c9799a$90c4a260$6402a8c0 at Gary>
> Content-Type: text/plain;        charset="US-ASCII"
>
> Check out California's new hands free law here;
> <http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=3025707913+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve>
> See vehicle codes 23123 thru 23125.
> Much debate took place beforehand and some of it was the result of   
> idiotic legislators trying to ban
> all communications devices while mobile until their eyes were  
> opened  to the fact that many
> utilities, municipal agencies, taxis, amateur operators, and much   
> more are not only protected
> (somewhat) from such legislation but also not the cause for so many   
> traffic collisions that begin
> with "distraction by cell phone" highlighting the need for this law   
> to begin with. Even though the
> law has been in effect for more than a year now I still see  
> numerous  drivers every day on their
> phones(the old fashioned way) while driving on the highway.
>
> Most importantly, please do not confuse "wireless telephone" with   
> the legacy "phone" term used in
> radio as they are not the same thing. The legislation literally   
> refers to common carrier cellular
> type phones commonly used by the masses to distract themselves  
> while  driving their motor vehicle
> into the rear of another motor vehicle.
> Gary
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: aprssig-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] On   
> Behalf Of K7FTP
> Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 2:10 PM
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
> Subject: [aprssig] Somewhat OT - Seeking Ham-friendly mobile cell   
> banlegislation?
>
> Can anyone point me to an example of enacted (yet ham-friendly) mobile cell
> phone ban legislation?
>
> One of our wonderful nanny-state legislators wants to ban everything
> including two-way radio except in an emergency.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:13:28 -0800
> From: Mark Fellhauer <sparkfel at qwest.net>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Somewhat OT - Seeking Ham-friendly mobile cell
>         banlegislation?
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID: <4.3.2.7.2.20090118130500.036735d0 at pop.sxfl.qwest.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>
>
> California also ammended their motor vehicle laws to ALLOW the placement of
> portable GPS receivers on the windshield.  The restriction is that the GPSr
> be placed in the lower extreme right or left portion of the windscreen.
>
> Twice now, once in Las Vegas and once in Phoenix, police cars (one
> unmarked) have come up behind me while I was talking on my cell phone (not
> hands-free) while driving and given me a short blast on the siren and a
> little flashing light action, but then have driven on by.  Just a friendly
> reminder from them not to do that...
>
> 73,
>
> Mark
> KC7BXS
>
>
> At 10:28 AM 1/18/2009, Gary wrote:
>> Check out California's new hands free law here;
>> <http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=3025707913+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve>
>> See vehicle codes 23123 thru 23125.
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:15:41 -0600
> From: Jeff N0JUH <jefflists08 at corrt.com>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID: <4973C62D.7000800 at corrt.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:
>> I really hope folks here aren't encouraging anybody new to scripting
>> to start with PERL.  That's a really bad idea.
>>
>> PERL is an incredible language and I use it every day.  It is somewhat
>> cross platform and that's good, but the excitement in the programming
>> world these days is Python and others.
>
> I'll second this.  If you are going to learn a new programming language,
> want to do quick'n'dirty scripts, but also want to develop some serious
> applications someday, python is the way to go.  I've been using it for
> over ten years: everything from shell script replacements to terrain
> modeling (with graphics) to large web-based inventory systems.  It's
> easy to learn, has a huge set of libraries, makes for fast development,
> scales very well and is very sound from a computer science POV.
>
> Why do the big software companies use C and C++?  For optimum
> performance, mostly.  But a number of them do their *prototypes* in
> python first.  Most of Google's search engine product was originally
> developed in python.  Most ham software would work just fine at python
> speeds - you can still do critical modules in C/C++ and link to them
> from python.
>
> Is python the best for embedded systems or other small-footprint
> applications?  Not really.  C and C++ rule there.  Though programmers
> who prefer a higher-level / fast prototyping approach should check out
> lua (www.lua.org)
>
> my two cents...
>
>     -- Jeff n0juh
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:43:31 +0200
> From: Tapio Sokura <oh2kku at iki.fi>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID: <4973CCB3.1040104 at iki.fi>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Ray Wells wrote:
>> Thanks for all the additional replies. I think the only language I'm
>> proficient in at the moment is profane, after all the syntax errors from
>> perl :-)
>
> Two suggestions for learning and using perl: always begin your scripts
> with "use strict;" and "use warnings;". They force you to be a bit more
> disciplined when coding and warn you of things that could lead to
> trouble. Taint checks (-T command line parameter) are sometimes useful
> as well.
>
>    Tapio
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:58:36 -0500
> From: "J.C. Wren" <jcwren at jcwren.com>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID:
>         <17434f2e0901181658r69369bd1u8fca50f96fde4c38 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> And for Python scripts, the first line should be:
> #!/bin/perl
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Tapio Sokura <oh2kku at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Ray Wells wrote:
>> > Thanks for all the additional replies. I think the only language I'm
>> > proficient in at the moment is profane, after all the syntax errors from
>> > perl :-)
>>
>> Two suggestions for learning and using perl: always begin your scripts
>> with "use strict;" and "use warnings;". They force you to be a bit more
>> disciplined when coding and warn you of things that could lead to
>> trouble. Taint checks (-T command line parameter) are sometimes useful
>> as well.
>>
>>   Tapio
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> aprssig mailing list
>> aprssig at tapr.org
>> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:   
> http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/attachments/20090118/e1e12841/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:06:20 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Chuck.Gooden at comcast.net
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID:
>          
> <846050346.4382291232327180332.JavaMail.root at sz0039a.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
>
>
>
> No that's not correct, for Python scripts you use:
>
>
>
> #!/bin/python
>
>
>
> For Perl scripts use:
>
>
>
> #!/bin/perl
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "J.C. Wren" <jcwren at jcwren.com>
> To: "TAPR APRS Mailing List" <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:58:36 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
>
> And for Python scripts, the first line should be:
>
>
> #!/bin/perl?
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:   
> http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/attachments/20090119/78affe8c/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:45:12 -0500
> From: "J.C. Wren" <jcwren at jcwren.com>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID:
>         <17434f2e0901181745t2fc1b6ebpaa3ed9fa8869ab95 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Ah say, ah say, that's sarcasm there, son, sarcasm</foghorn leghorn>
> Can't stand Python.  Out of the 40 or so languages I've ever used, COBOL and
> Python are the only two that I'd rather flip burgers than use.
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:06 PM, <Chuck.Gooden at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> No that's not correct, for Python scripts you use:
>>
>>
>>
>> #!/bin/python
>>
>>
>>
>> For Perl scripts use:
>>
>>
>>
>> #!/bin/perl
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "J.C. Wren" <jcwren at jcwren.com>
>> To: "TAPR APRS Mailing List" <aprssig at tapr.org>
>> Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:58:36 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
>> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
>>
>> And for Python scripts, the first line should be:
>>
>> #!/bin/perl
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> aprssig mailing list
>> aprssig at tapr.org
>> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>>
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:   
> http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/attachments/20090118/605106ad/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:52:48 -0600
> From: Chuck Gooden <Chuck.Gooden at comcast.net>
> Subject: [aprssig] test.....please ignore.
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID: <4973DCF0.2080801 at comcast.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:20:03 +1100
> From: Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID: <4973D543.1070809 at exemail.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
> Methinks you missed the twisted humour.
>
> Ray vk2tv
>
> Chuck.Gooden at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> No that's not correct, for Python scripts you use:
>>
>>
>>
>> #!/bin/python
>>
>>
>>
>> For Perl scripts use:
>>
>>
>>
>> #!/bin/perl
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "J.C. Wren" <jcwren at jcwren.com>
>> To: "TAPR APRS Mailing List" <aprssig at tapr.org>
>> Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:58:36 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
>> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
>>
>> And for Python scripts, the first line should be:
>>
>>
>> #!/bin/perl
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> aprssig mailing list
>> aprssig at tapr.org
>> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:48:38 +1100
> From: Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Programming Language Advice
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Message-ID: <4973CDE6.1060006 at exemail.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Tapio Sokura wrote:
>> Ray Wells wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for all the additional replies. I think the only language I'm
>>> proficient in at the moment is profane, after all the syntax errors from
>>> perl :-)
>>>
>>
>> Two suggestions for learning and using perl: always begin your scripts
>> with "use strict;" and "use warnings;". They force you to be a bit more
>> disciplined when coding and warn you of things that could lead to
>> trouble. Taint checks (-T command line parameter) are sometimes useful
>> as well.
>>
>>    Tapio
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> aprssig mailing list
>> aprssig at tapr.org
>> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>>
>>
> I'm using both of those, thanks.
>
> Ray vk2tv
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>
>
> End of aprssig Digest, Vol 55, Issue 22
> ***************************************
>
>


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/attachments/20090119/0896e06d/attachment.htm 


More information about the aprssig mailing list