[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson!

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Jul 23 01:14:52 UTC 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 9:01 PM, Cap Pennell wrote:

> Yes, yes, I know.  But I believe the numbers of transient mobile hams
> routinely reviewing their RF APRS displays for purposes of locating
> nearby
> Echolink stations which they will then utilize in unfamiliar
> territory will
> be just about the same number as that of APRS stations actually
> transmitting
> !x! or RFONLY (or using 9600baud for mobile APRS).  <grin>

!x! and RFONLY are ways for people to opt out of something. They cost
nothing in terms of the limited resources of APRS both on RF and Inet.
That makes them acceptable. On the other hand, using 10%+ of a limited
resource for something few will use is wasteful, which is why I've
come to be completely against this idea.

Steve K4HG