[aprssig] SURREALISM IN EVERYDAY LIFE: Blind Faith In GPS Causing Problems

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 07:57:20 UTC 2009

Blind faith in GPS-prompted driving instructions seems to be causing
numerous problems in the U.K.

 From BBC News UK Website:

Sat nav misdirects football fans

*Out-of-date satellite navigation systems are directing fans and players
to Swansea's old football ground, the club has said.

*Caravanners in fix blame sat-nav

*Satellite navigation systems are being blamed for caravanners  [RV'ers
in the colonies] getting stuck in a narrow lane in a Gwynedd village.

*Sat-nav blamed for village jams

*Satellite navigation systems are being blamed for directing thousands
of cars through a quiet Somerset village.

*Sat nav driver's car hit by train

*A 20-year-old student's car was wrecked by a train after she followed
her sat nav system onto a railway track. *"I put my complete trust in
the sat nav and it led me right into the path of a speeding train," she

Sat nav error puts an end to trip

*A group of children had to abandon a school trip before even arriving -
after a driver followed his satellite navigation to the wrong destination.

*Sat-nav dead end at crematorium

*Giant lorries heading towards a town's main industrial plants are being
directed by satellite navigation to the local crematorium instead.

*Sat nav leaves cheese truck stuck

*A driver whose cheese lorry was stuck down a narrow farm track in a
village has blamed his satellite navigation system for giving him wrong