[aprssig] USN(G) and APRS

Kurt Kochendarfer ke7kus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:34:36 UTC 2009

I am also not Bob, but a few thoughts on USNG and/or MGRS and/or UTM
coordinate systems with APRStt:

1)  Your major hurdle is going to be the proper entry and decoding of
the grid zone and 100km2 square info which are only partially numeric.
Not insurmountable, but definitely a consideration.  Once those are
established, entry of E/N coords is easy.

2)  In many ways, grid is much easier to manage than lat/long.  No
worries about N/S/E/W precursors for coords, and no
confusion/difficulties with DD.DDD vs. DD MM.MMM vs. DD MM SS

3)  Grid is a natural fit for ambiguity solutions and self-defined
location precision.