[aprssig] Looking for an appplication ?

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri May 1 22:55:15 UTC 2009

> Does anyone know of an application or service that would allow me to send a
> text message via regular cellphone and ask for basic status info on an APRS
> station?

I've been meaning to write one for a few months now. Luckily you
reminded me on a free afternoon!

How's this:
- Send an email (SMS, whatever) to aprs at tomh.us. The message text
should be the callsign to query.
- Within a minute or two, you should receive a reply with station's
callsign, last heard time, current street address/city, and status

Try it!

Note: if you are going to experiment with this by sending an email
from a computer, make sure you are sending the email in plain text. I
don't strip the multi-part data, so you may get a mangled response if
you are sending rich text.

I'm currently getting my APRS data using the aprsworld.net
lastposition table. Reverse geocoding is done with the Google Maps

I just hacked this together quickly, so any suggestions or bug reports
are welcome.