[aprssig] Odd Propagation

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Tue May 12 01:50:15 UTC 2009

I am in Lubbock, TX and tonight I received an APRS beacon direct from
K5DUG-2 as he was travelling on I-35 near Hillsboro, a distance of
almost 300 miles.  I thought this was odd because I haven't been
experiencing tropospheric ducting this evening.

So I pulled up NWSGet and downloaded the latest RADAR overlay for
UI-View32.  I noticed that the RADAR image shows several light blue
streaks, from various RADAR sites, pointing in the same direction.

I posted a screen capture at

What kind of propagation am I experiencing?  Has anyone seen anything
like this before?

John Habbinga, KC5ZRQ
Lubbock, Texas