[aprssig] That tactical callsign argum -- uh, thread...

Bob Poortinga aprssig at k9sql.us
Tue May 12 19:58:42 UTC 2009

Sergej UZ2HZ writes:

> Am I once again surprised, is really I asked about something unreal?

> It just is a little OPTION which can to be present in whole of server
> filters set.

Sergej, your perception is that it is a little option, but the reality is
that this would be a major headache for hundreds, if not thousands
of stations; just to offer a minor convenience to you.

If this was such a huge problem, there would be a lot more people
complaining about it.  So far, you are the only one.  If the change
was made per your suggestion, there would be many complaints.
Tactical callsigns are a necessary and important part of APRS.
The only legal requirements (at least in the US) is that on-air
packets contain the callsign of the transmitting stations somewhere
in the packet such as the comment or status field.

> But you in place of help, blamed me for laziness, (in personal
> mail) that I can't do it locally. I can, but once again, it is
> not  an optimum method.

Your suggestion is not optimum.  Why waste a whole character
of a very short field?

> let me explain once again?

No, I think it best that you accept that your suggestion has been
rejected and cease making demands to the APRSSIG list.
I am sure that with a little thought and a little research and learning,
you could develop a workable solution to your problem on your own
For example, a Perl script which would log into a APRS-IS server
and filter stations within a certain geographic area which match
a specified regular expression such as:

(It is left as an exercise to the reader to discern what this regexp
matches.  I'm sure it's not optimal.)

Further discussion on this topic is discouraged!

73 de
Bob Poortinga  K9SQL
Bloomington, IN  US