[aprssig] Centralised message server

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Nov 21 02:50:39 UTC 2009

Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> Personally, I don't think it's a good idea for some server to hold
> messages for later delivery. The sender should send the message and
> get an ACK... or not. We all know that no ACK doesn't necessarily mean
> the recipient didn't get the message, but an ACK does mean that they
> definitely did. Clients like UI-View can send a message <n> times and
> then "retry on heard" if necessary. If it's the original sender
> sending or re-sending the message, it's them that's receiving the ACK.
> I think it would add a layer of complication if they had to check
> elsewhere to see if an ACK had been sent by the recipient.

Your preference is exactly the reason for the message from the server
offering to buffer and retry (not everyone is running UI-View or keeps
it online for "retry on heard" to work) as well as offering the 3rd
option to never offer again to that station.  I definitely wouldn't want
a server delivering MY messages later unless I gave it permission to -
on each and every occurrance.

As for the "check elsewhere for the ack", that'd be a good addition to
my proposed design.  When a buffered message is finally delivered to (or
denied by) the recipient, a positive acknowledge could be sent back to
the originator (and automatically buffered) indicating that the message
was (or was not) delivered along with a date/time stamp.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ