No subject

Wed Nov 18 21:02:00 UTC 2009

DEST - gate all frames addressed to this destination address.

RECIP - gate all frames that are messages with this callsign as the
recipient (addressee).

OK, I can see now why you are asking. The destination address is like
APRS or APU25N etc. whereas RECIP is a message sent to a particular
recipient. It is the "unproto" address.

> And why does it not let you specify both?
>
> I could add "VK4TEC*=ALL" and just handle my car...

That would gate all frames heard from VK4TEC from all SSIDs... all
position reports, all messages, all bulletins, all WX beacons, etc.
Perhaps the following from the file IGATE.INI will help...

;Examples:-
;G4IDE=ALL     means gate all traffic from G4IDE.
;G8MZX=NONE    means gate no traffic from G8MZX.
;G4GZL=BEACONS means gate beacons but not messages
;              from G4GZL.
;G4*=ALL       means gate all traffic from callsigns
;              starting with "G4".
;ABC*=OBJECT   means gate objects with names starting
;              with "ABC".
;SPECIAL=DEST  means gate all traffic with a destination
;              address of SPECIAL.

Obviously, if you gate all traffic from a particular callsign, there is
no point in also gating beacons and objects from that callsign.
Obviously, if you want to gate no traffic from a callsign (NONE) there's
little point in also gating e.g. beacons from that station, although the
help does point out that rules are acted on in order. So... if we stop
thinking about NONE and DEST, that leaves ALL, BEACONS and OBJECTS.
You would never use ALL in any combination with anything else, so you
would never use ALL in combination with BEACONS, and you would
never use ALL in combination with OBJECTS, and DEST is destination,
not a to or from callsign. You would never use OBJECT with ALL, NONE,
BEACONS or DEST.

> but I would like to help others.

Do you mean like in "gate messages to local stations"?

Going back to your specific question, you would never use DEST with
RECIP as DEST is a destination (like APRS) and RECIP would be a
recipient of a message. You could have an entry for VK4TEC and VK4TEC*
but again, the rules are acted upon order.

NOTE, even if you manually edited the file IGATE.INI to enter settings
that the "GUI" won't let you enter, there would be little point. As
mentioned in the help, rules are acted upon in order. As soon as it
comes to a rule for a callsign, it stops there. It would also show
entries in the GUI the same as  the first entry in IGATE.INI, and
according to the help, it stops checking for further rules as soon as a
condition has been met. I still kinda think you just need to gate
messages to local stations, but that's
up to you to decide.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH