[aprssig] DX-cluster Messaging? (CC-cluster)

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Wed Oct 7 14:11:27 UTC 2009

> Ah, such is the state of Ham radio.  It's the same in APRS, with
> 40,000 users, maybe only 00.1% actually send a message...

Maybe that's because it's difficult to use and mostly doesn't work.

I got a D710 a few months ago, and was excited to finally be able
to send messages vehicle-to-vehicle. Until I tried it. Both options
for text input are absolutely miserable - even when fully stopped.
And once the message is entered and "sent", it's hugely unreliable.

EMAIL messages get through about 50% of the time, at best, even in
an area with good igate coverage. I rarely get the ACK back that
tells me the message was received. Car-to-car is far worse.

I would suggest that concentrating on the infrastructure, rather
than adding more congestion to the channel, would yield more valuable

73 de chris K6DBG