[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 74, Issue 7

VK6 UFO vk6ufo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 12:33:34 UTC 2010

Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:48:16 -0700

From: Greg Clark <k7rkt at bigredbee.com>

> I'd recommend ignoring those numbers as well if you can.

Hi Greg. Sure, I'll just remove the extra code and let it through.

I *have* noticed that when my unit powers up, it can generate some strange
> altitude numbers for the first packet it transmits -- any idea if this is
> an
> issue related to powerup?  Or do you see multiple packets that look like
> this -- if you've got some more examples of malformed packets, that would
> certainly help.

The station had been on the move for approximately 30 minutes when I noticed
it. From aprs.fi:

2010-08-06 08:11:51 UTC:
2010-08-06 08:15:25 UTC:
2010-08-06 08:16:29 UTC:

2010-08-07 02:52:22 UTC:
2010-08-07 03:11:44 UTC:

The station has noticed one or two odd posit reports shortly after powering
it up when he leaves home. I haven't noticed them on aprs.fi myself.
Possibly a similar issue to your powerup altitude error? I wonder if the GPS
receiver is reporting it has a reliable satellite lock when it doesn't.

Thanks for your feedback.