[aprssig] SKY1 - callsign? Wayne County, Ohio.

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls ke6sls at arrl.net
Wed Aug 11 01:26:06 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 10 August 2010 16:09:22 Jason Rausch wrote:
> Since I started selling all-in-one APRS devices, I have noticed there are
> many pilots that are catching on to APRS and see it as a "free beacon
> system" they can put on their plane for relatively little money.  MOST are
> are licensed, but some are not and just do it anyways.  There IS a sense of
> arrogance and a "rules don't apply to me" attitude with some.
> As a provider of hardware that is strictly used on the 144-148 MHz range
> ie. the RTrak Family (minus the RTrak-Lite), I feel the need to police this
> TO A POINT.  If I get an order from someone that does not show any sign of
> a license, I usually send them a friendly email asking for a callsign.
> Most come back with the callsign or some other form of proof.  While the
> flip side is, I have had a few "arrogant" ones come back and tell me to
> stick and they will take their money elsewhere.  I know some other hardware
> makers may not have the discretion and willing to sell to anyone with the
> cash in hand.  That is their deal, not mine, but I feel like I have to do
> my part to educate or at the very least, keep a pirate off the air...for
> the longest that I can.

I used a vender not too long ago to order some gear--after it was all said and
done, I realized they never bothered to inquire if I was a ham or not.  I
stopped doing business with them at that point since I did buy RF gear.  AES
ALWAYS verifies my license prior to talking about an order--this I like.

But I also don't want to go overboard.  I'm sure we can tag the problem just
like we've had to do here locally.

jaye, ke6sls

How much does free cost?
How much is free worth?