[aprssig] Maps

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 23:14:43 UTC 2010

  On 8/15/2010 2:44 PM, Earl Needham wrote:
> Darn  This is not good!  What other options do I have for maps where I can
> zoom & scroll?
> Thanks,
> Earl

NONE    (unless you want to be tethered to the Internet with the PA7RHM
MapServer plugin.)

Run MapPoint externally, and link it to UI-View with the UI-Point "middle-ware"
UI-View plug-in.  However this has severely reduced functionality compared to
the internal UI-View displays, and no support for overlay characters on APRS

Reformat hard disk

Install Windows XP

Chase down XP versions of drivers for what ever hardware (video display, sound
system, ethernet interface chip, WiFi, motherboard/IDE HDD interfaces, etc)
that XP failed to identify.  I.e. "The Great Driver Hunt" on the Internet!

Install UI-Vew, Precision Mapping and PMap Server 7

Enjoy a system that runs 2-3 times faster than the same system with Vista or
Win 7.

I just spent three days "upgrading" a new Toshiba C655 laptop from Win 7-64  to

This machine with a 15" W-SVGA screen, 2 GB of RAM, 250 GB HDD and a 1.8 GHz
Celeron (i.e. single-core) CPU currently sells at Best Buy for USD $350.    You
can think of this machine as a "netbook on steroids" - lightweight but with a
full-size keyboard, double-layer DVD-RW drive, but only 2 USB ports, no modem
and no PS/2 ports to steal power for a GPS.  Note that it uses a "real" Celeron
rather than the much lower powered "Atom" CPU used in most netbooks.

Freed of the sludge of the OEM Win 7 (64-bit edition no less!) it really
screams and runs MapPoint, Precision Mapping, Delorme TopoUSA and UI-View very
nicely.    After taking three days to do the first one, I have cloned the
installation into two more. It only about 20 mins each, using Acronis
True-Image to back the setup of the first one onto an external USB hard drive,
and then restore it to each the others.

The initial setup and backup/restore process was somewhat messier than previous
projects I have done, since this machine uses a new-style ESCD hard disk
interface with EFI.  Extensible Firmware Interface does away with much of the
classic motherboard BIOS configuration of the HDD.  (Basically, a much larger
boot loader on the hard disk running natively in 32-bit code replaces the
traditional 16-bit IDE hard disk boot  code in a "classic" BIOS.) However, I
discovered that the remaining BIOS options did include a choice for IDE
compatibility mode that let me do an XP install.