Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Wed Dec 29 16:44:42 UTC 2010


Please tell me more about the delays.  Do they just affect KISS mode?  Do
they affect in-tnc digipeating?   Do they affect CONVerse mode?   This could
be the delay issue we've been chasing for years.... the issue that I've
thought was UI-View all this time!

Could it be???
Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.


On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 15:00, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> I have seen the KPC-3+/KISS issue discussed several times on multiple APRS
> mailing lists, but my best reference is the direct experience of Richard
> Sharp (KQ4KX) who maintains the WC4PEM digi/IGate network in Polk County
> here in Florida.  WC4PEM is a KPC-3+ running in KISS mode and if he doesn't
> reboot the TNC every week or so (sooner if APRS traffic gets heavy), it
> begins introducing delayed packets into the APRS-IS network.  The easiest
> way to see this is on packets that include a timestamp.  The packet will
> appear once via some other IGate and then again via WC4PEM with a 1-5 minute
> (yes, it has been up to 5 minutes) delay.   The problem is only known to
> exist in KPC-3+, the non-plus and other Kantronics units do not seem to have
> the issue.
>
> I have not experimented with the difference between AGW PE vs PEpro.  I
> only quoted my experience with PEpro because that's what I run with all of
> my testing.  I'm still hoping that the Pro version gets updated to catch up
> with the free version because I need to be able to specify a split input and
> output sound card channels complements of the differences in the way Windows
> 7 handles my audio devices now that I've added a Signalink USB.
>
> The Pro version's KAM tone support works really well for me as I'm running
> it on 30m HF side-by-side with APRS Messenger (2100hz) with both of them
> running through an instance of my APRSIS32 for map visualization and Igate
> functions.
>
>
> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
>
>  Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>
>>
>> I have a KPC-3+ here, but I haven't yet hooked it up to anything for
>>> comparison to the TNCs listed in my previous e-mail.  I haven't made time
>>> for this because apparently the KPC-3+ also has trouble when operated long
>>> term in KISS mode which is my preferred TNC interface.
>>>
>>
>> Where have you encountered KISS issues with the KPC3?   I have a KAM (VHF
>> side is essentially identical to a KPC3 while the HF side uses two
>> independent switched-capacitor tone detector channels like classic RTTY
>> "TU"s) -and- a KPC3+ in my ham "super server"  VHF/HF
>>  igate-UIwebserver-APRN-Echolink  setup.   Picture and details here:
>>
>> <http://wa8lmf.net/EPIAserver>
>>
>> Both run in KISS mode and have run for months at a time without any
>> problems.    The KAM in KISS mode provides two logical KISS data streams
>> (one for HF, one for VHF)  on a single physical serial port.  They are then
>> separated by AGWpe into separate AGW logical ports which are then used by
>> different copies of UIview.
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>>
>> Finally, you say you found AGWpe Pro to be the best performer.  Have you
>> compared it to the freeware version?    I had assumed the main difference in
>> the "Pro" version was the fancier GUI.   Is there an actual difference in
>> the decode performance?
>>
>> I have been considering buying the Pro version, but mainly because it's HF
>> mode uses the standard 1600/1800 Hz  KAM/TNC2  HF tones instead of the
>> 2100/2300 tones of the freeware version.  (The higher tones can present
>> problems with the limited passband of many HF SSB transceivers.)
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> aprssig mailing list
>> aprssig at tapr.org
>> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/attachments/20101229/33f11135/attachment.htm>


More information about the aprssig mailing list