[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:32:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Erik Finskas <lakki at iki.fi> wrote:

> There is the potential, yes. But first obstacle is to dig into the
> demodulator of the pagers and make them receive and understand AX.25 AFSK.

that's one way to do it.  while the most flexible, it also seems the
most difficult...

> There are quite many software/PIC/AVR based POCSAG encoders out there to
> create a separate paging network.

This sounds more promising, simply because it's easier.  gateway APRS
data to a pager net frequency, speaking the native protocol of the
pagers in use.  It would only require returning the pagers to ham
frequencies, which doesn't sound exactly trivial to me...