[aprssig] VX8GR

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls ke6sls at arrl.net
Thu Jul 29 14:49:07 UTC 2010

On Thursday 29 July 2010 06:16:56 Tom Kinahan wrote:
> Thanks guys, for all of the pointers on the VX8GR.
> 1) I've found that shutting off the GPS before powering down helps to get a
> speedier GPS lock on power up and GPS turn on, even  though it needs more
> interaction. Can anyone else confirm?

I only turned off the GPS a few times.  After this period, the unit tends to
lock on pretty quickly.  I also try to keep the battery from expiring before
I turn the unit off.

> 3) I'm finding again what I learned back in the days of my Paccom Tiny2
> tracker that a 5W transmitter (especially with rubber duck) isn't enough to
> reach any digipeaters in this area with summer bloom on and the hills here.
> I've got to be pretty close to any of the digipeaters to get anything
> repeated in this topography, not that it's mountainous at all. Nearby
> mountains would be a benefit in this case.
> 4) I hear/see  lots of beacons, but can't reach the digipeaters, most of
> the time. Only when I engineer the path through a local home station am I
> successful - and that's no good outside of the neighborhood!

What is the set-up that you are using?  (eg. antenna, power level, power

What is the digi path setting when mobile?

jaye, ke6sls

How much does free cost?
How much is free worth?