[aprssig] ARPS physical layer

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Thu Sep 16 14:55:44 UTC 2010

Derek Love writes:

> Thanks for the info guys, maybe I should be a bit more specific.
> I have the APRS 2.0 spec, I know about HDLC, NRZI, byte reversal, bit
> stuffing, CRC/FCS generation and stop/start (7E) flags.
> However, I come from a PMR / Data radio environment, so my first questions
> are:
> What's the preamble sequence and length?
> What's the sync sequence and length?

This is where I went, too, but packet radio was already there. Had been for
many years :)

PMR specs like MPT1327/1343 tend to specify the turn-around time, so they can
also give exact specifications for preamble and sync sequences.

This wasn't the case with packet radio in the 80's. Our digipeater was based
on a late-60's Salora, and the mailbox was using a Regency from the same era.
Both were using large coil relays for TX/RX changeover and were notoriously
slow in both directions.

So there had to be a possibility to adjust the preamble length "TXDELAY". Many
APRS stations still adhere to standards of those days without any reason.

Benjamin OH3BK
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!