[aprssig] APRS talk in Los Alamos?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 31 18:50:26 UTC 2011

On 8/31/2011 1:10 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Tom,
> EXCELLENT explanation!
> Now would this problem go away if people used the WIDE2-2 path in that area
> instead of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1??  I think so, because then the DUPE filter would
> work on the 2nd hop?
> If this fixes it, then our goal would be to get ALL such OLD KPC-3's to have
> a BEACON that says something like: "Use W2-2."  Especiall in an area whre
> most of the TNC's have this problem?
> Bob, Wb4APR

This is exactly what the beacons say on all the Los Angeles-area digi beacons:
"  "WIDE2-2 Is Best Path in SoCal".

Here the issue is discouraging WIDE1-1 fill-ins on the ground, since the
5,000-7,000-foot-high mountain tops can be hit directly from pretty much
anywhere in greater Los Angeles area in a single hop.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====

*** HF APRS over PSK63 ***