[aprssig] Clarification of APRS weather station data flow.

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 22:01:40 UTC 2011

On 3/15/2011 1:52 PM, Eric Hansen wrote:
> I am setting up a weather station sometime this spring, and i'd like a little
> clarification on how the data from APRS weather stations gets to the NWS. In
> a home based situation, wouldn't it be more efficient to have the weather
> station upload data directly to the server the NWS is pulling from? Does the
> NWS have an APRS receiver program in any cities? Otherwise, it seems like you
> could keep reliability high by putting all your networking equipment on a UPS
> and submitting your data over the internet.

Normally you would both beacon on RF in APRS format, and log into the CWOP
(Citizens Weather Observer Program) server.  This system is a work-alike
"clone" of the APRS Internet System.  Details here:

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====