[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 17:16:38 UTC 2011

On 11/13/2011 12:04 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
> At 11:40 AM 11/13/2011, Andrew P. wrote:
>> As far as I'm personally concerned, .pos files are a perfectly reasonable
>> format for external storage of objects. Since I haven't picked a file format
>> for this in the app I'm authoring, I might as well pick .pos file format
>> (unless it is a proprietary licensed format I'd have to pay a fortune to
>> use; is it?).

> Unfortunately, I haven't found a tool that will automatically convert from
> _any_ common GPS or mapping program data file format to .POS format.

> This makes exporting object locations from a mapping program or a GPS to an
> APRS client at bit of a pain in the behind.

The POS format is the same as standard-format as over-air-air APRS-format
position reports.  The easy way to generate these is to send an object to the
APRS-IS, then copy/paste the string from the raw packet display at findu or

On UIview, at least, it's trivially easy to generate these objects for
transmission.  Click on the desired location on the map, and then open the
Object Editor.  The clicked lat/long will already be filled in. Add the desired
icon/overlay and then beacon it to the APRS-IS.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====

*** HF APRS over PSK63 ***