[aprssig] APRS data via perl-to-tnc

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 13:55:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Shawn Stoddard <stoddard at pobox.com> wrote:
> Try \r instead. In most languages that is a return. Don't speak Perl.
> --

Yeah, \r is a carriage return in perl as well.  Have already tried
both \r and \n with no luck.  Yesterday I installed ser2net and was
able to telnet to the tnc that's on /dev/ttyUSB0.  Thinking I had it
licked because I've written lots of perl scripts using Net::Telnet, I
proceeded to beat my head against the wall because I still couldn't
get the tnc to give me a prompt.  Next I tried the perl expect.pm
module and spawned the same telnet client that had worked manually,
but still no dice.  The common denominator to all of the attempts is

One clue - when I run a script that attempts to illicit 'EH?' or
'cmd:' by sending various characters, and then I connect manually
immediately afterward, I get the expected responses to what the script
sent.  It's as if when the script is running I only have one-way
communication out the serial port.  Oh well, I've spent way too much
time on something I though would be relatively simple.

Lee - K5DAT