[aprssig] APRS vs. SPOT

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 7 15:46:37 UTC 2011

Clay AA3JY wrote...

> Watching some of the subscribers on SPOT put out consistent tracking
> just about anywhere in the US, Canada, Mexico..so why can't APRS
> come even close!?! Also dollar for dollar..it's cheaper to do SPOT...

Probably because we don't have dedicated APRS satellites. It is subscription
based so there are costs involved. For anyone hiking or skiing off the beaten
track, a SPOT would be an excellent addition. For real emergencies, I would
probably want an EPIRB, but the SPOT can be used for day-to-day uses and
on the right service plan, you can send messages from it too.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH