[aprssig] Shack backup power

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Mon Sep 12 00:39:55 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Bruninga "
> And that is about ONE golf cart battery (though you will need two to get
> to 12 volts and to keep the depth of discharge to about 50% to prolong the
> life of the battery).

We are talking about emergency, backup power ... not day to day use ... 50%
would be appropriate for day to day use, but golf cart batteries are "true
deep cycle" batteries and can be safely discharged down to 20% of full (80%
discharge) on occasion without serious harm.

Richard Amirault
Boston, MA, USA