[aprssig] Tomtom's For APRS (Question)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 02:53:09 UTC 2012

On 4/1/2012 10:45 PM, Sander Pool wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a D72 and I like how easy it is to hook up to my netbook. At the same
> time I see the limitation of that interface so I wish it had both USB and
> serial. It is likely that the radio has a separate USB controller which would
> enable the desperate tinker to intercept the TTL level serial data.

That's exactly what is going on - the internal design is warmed-over TH-D7 I/O
with a serial-to-USB converter built in, instead of in the middle of a cable
dongle.   What's maddening is that it is NOT either a Prolific or an FDTI chip
(so it could use the drivers for either of these two common chipsets that are
most likely already on your system from other devices), but rather a THIRD
proprietary chipset with proprietary driver!

Note that the D72 memory programming utility actually requires you to select a
(virtual) serial COM port, rather than use the USB interface natively!

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63