[aprssig] Tomtom's For APRS (Question)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 04:14:33 UTC 2012

On 4/1/2012 11:58 PM, Lawrence LaBranche wrote:
> The AvMap G6 can do bi-directional communication on the mini-jack port. I would think it communicates with the TNC of the radio to do this.
> Sent from my iPod

This is bi-directional  *GPS*   comms -- not the main interface port.

Even the earlier  D700 & TH-7 could reformat received posits as generic NMEA
waypoints and send them TO the GPS on the reverse side of the GPS/radio RS-232
serial connection.   You enabled the waypoints in one of the Kenwood APRS menus.

Even very basic early GPS units with displays and serial interfaces, such as
the original Garmin eTrex and my Foretrex could do this waypoint display.
See this page on my website (or the pic below) for a screenshot  of waypoints
from a TH-D7 displayed on a Foretrex via the GPS port.

. <http://wa8lmf.net/ForeTrex/ForeTrexScreens.htm>   Scroll to the bottom picture.

The D72 merely continues this convention.,  and the AVmap further enhances it
by displaying actual APRS symbols instead of generic GPS waypoint symbols like
flags, fish and campsites.

Again, the physical serial port on the TH-D72 is only a bi-directional NMEA GPS
interface. It DOES NOT give you access to the TNC or radio memories.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63