[aprssig] APRS callsigning for internationally travelling hams?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:47:38 CST 2012

Just came up with a question. Say that I'm travelling internationally with my ham gear under a suitable reciprocal licensing agreement. How can I wedge my extended callsign into APRS?

The only reciprocal deal I'm familiar with is between the United States and Canada (and I hope my understanding isn't out of date; please correct me if I am). As a US amateur visiting in Canada, I'm supposed to use my US callsign with a Canadian suffix to indicate my province of operation (for example, KA2DDO/VE3 when I'm fishing in Ontario).

How do I fit this into an APRS packet? The "/VE3" doesn't fit into the AX.25 frame header. Is putting it into the APRS comment field legally sufficient?

Are there any other reciprocal jurisdictions that don't just require the foreign ham to get a domestic callsign, but do something like this?

Just curious (now that I have APRS gear to drag along on next year's fishing trip).

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

More information about the aprssig mailing list