Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[aprssig] APRS callsigning for internationally travelling hams?

Steve Daniels steve at daniels270.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 20:09:24 UTC 2012

Standard practice is to be the country extension in the comment field so
when in Spain my tracker would be G6UIM-9 with EA in the comment field

Steve Daniels
Torbay Freecycle Moderator
-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf
Of Steve Noskowicz
Sent: 15 February 2012 20:00
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS callsigning for internationally travelling hams?

In the comment field, right guys?

The CALL-SSID thing is normally a call, but doesn't have to be.  When you do
something other than a regular beacon (such as an Object or pseudo Object)
you put your legal all in the Comment.

 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)
I served during the cold war, so you can continue to be served a cold one.

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Apr-2011
    Click 'APRS Beginner INFO' under Contact

Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em, etc...
TM-D700 |         TH-F6A      |   TS-2000    |   Icom 706MkIIG
All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
NOT D710

More Details, Features and Downloads at:

--- On Wed, 2/15/12, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [aprssig] APRS callsigning for internationally travelling hams?
> To: "aprssig at tapr.org " <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 1:47 PM
> Just came up with a question. Say
> that I'm travelling internationally with my ham gear under a
> suitable reciprocal licensing agreement. How can I wedge my
> extended callsign into APRS?
> The only reciprocal deal I'm familiar with is between the
> United States and Canada (and I hope my understanding isn't
> out of date; please correct me if I am). As a US amateur
> visiting in Canada, I'm supposed to use my US callsign with
> a Canadian suffix to indicate my province of operation (for
> example, KA2DDO/VE3 when I'm fishing in Ontario).
> How do I fit this into an APRS packet? The "/VE3" doesn't
> fit into the AX.25 frame header. Is putting it into the APRS
> comment field legally sufficient?
> Are there any other reciprocal jurisdictions that don't just
> require the foreign ham to get a domestic callsign, but do
> something like this?
> Just curious (now that I have APRS gear to drag along on
> next year's fishing trip).
> Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> https://www.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig

aprssig mailing list
aprssig at tapr.org

More information about the aprssig mailing list