[aprssig] How to use AVRS?
bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 10 11:03:48 CST 2012
> How about somebody put 4 or 5 bullets in an email
> that highlights what AVRS does?
John will tell you what his AVRS does, so I will say what the overall AVRS
* Global Callsign-to-Callsign Voice connectivity for APRS mobiles
* We already have the end-to-end signaling system (APRS messaging)
* we already have the end-to-end VOIP via IRLP/Echolink/Dstar/Allstar nodes
* We already know where the APRS mobiles are, and where all the VOIP nodes
* APRStt (touch tone) tells us where all the non-APRS mobiles (DTMF) are
* AVRS is the concept to tie it all together
The goal is to be able to send a message to CALLSIGN-B that you want to
talk. Then have AVRS help set it all up and QSY the radios to complete the
QSO. Think of it as Ham Radio's cellular system using CALLSIGNS instead of
This has been the goal of APRS since 2001. And Kenwood and Yaesu have
responded by giving us the QSY function. They will enable automatic QSY
once we tell them the final working format.
I should point out that using a DTMF memory in all other non-APRS radios to
send out the DTMF callsign ID into the APRS system is the key to the other
95% of ham radio adoption of this system. Please see:
John Gorkos will chime in with all of the AVRS he currently has working.
Also the ALSTAR system is accepting DTMF callsign identification now too.
More information about the aprssig