[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 22:59:30 UTC 2012

On 1/9/2012 9:28 AM, Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:
> My issue is not with the proprietary nature of the codecs or any of the
> chips, but for Yaesu trying to introduce yet another digital method against
> one already well established. That causes market confusion, delayed purchases
> (who wants to buy a radio and take a chance that your chosen technology will
> end up the loser) and incompatible technologies that do not play together
> within the amateur community. \

DMR  (Digital Mobile Radio -- the generic name for what Motorola obfuscates and
tries to make sound unique by calling it MotoTRBO) is a far, far more widely
used protocol than D-Star.

Using  DMR as "THE" standard has far more potential for lowered unit costs,
since the low-production-volume amateur niche market usage would be
piggybacking on the FAR larger production volumes for commercial land-mobile
and public-safety users.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63