[aprssig] 30M APRS and digipeaters...
rttyman at ukr.net
Thu Jul 12 13:03:56 CDT 2012
> We do need an updated modern best operating practice for HF operation.
> We should either revisit the ECHO/GATE scheme or move to a new
> scheme closer to something like the WIDEn-N used on VHF.
Agree. My opinions based on long time HF aprs in this part of world:
1) Fixed stations with good RX/TX facility
(say low S0-S3 RX noise and 50 or more Watts of power) and fullsize antenna
can be WIDEn-n digi with max 2-2 hops.
Any more hops then 2-2 should be dropped down to 2 by digi or just ignored.
Substitution of WIDEn-n to real DIGI CALLSIGN when digi'ed is VERY recommended.
Any other fixed (with human operator also) stations can have digi enabled
only on its CALLSIGN.
2) Any fixed station welcome as RX-Igate.
3) RELAY,ECHO,TRACE digi aliases is obsolete and not used on HF.
4) There should be proper WIDE2-2 DIGIs distance grid.
E.g. every 1800-2200km for 20m band and 1000-1500km for 30m.
(average daylight single hop of F-layer propagation)
5) Beacon rate for fixed stations not fast then 15-20min.
6) Beacon rate for moving stations not fast then 3-5min.
7) For message exchange use direct path as more as possible.
8) If need message exchange with station not in direct range try to find best digi(s)
path and use digi CALL(s), instead of WIDE2-2 to not trigger all digis.
Comments, additions is welcome.
More information about the aprssig