[aprssig] Aprs in ny

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 18:28:19 UTC 2012

On 6/10/2012 2:05 PM, Cap Pennell wrote:
> A couple of your packets reached the internet yesterday from Manhattan.
> http://aprs.fi/HK3PQI-7
> Then your path was WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 (not ideal, quite broad).  Here in
> California with our IGate stations helping, simply WIDE1-1 alone is enough
> for most on VHF.

In California (and the rest of the west) where digipeaters are typically on
mountain tops towering *thousand*s of feet above the areas they serve, a single
hop works.

In the flatlands of the midwest and east coast, where it's a*REALLY BIG DEAL*
to get an antenna up more than 100 feet or so, it's a whole different story.
Multihops are the rule rather than the exception.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

High-Performance Software-Only Packet TNC

High Quality Calibrated Static Maps for Any APRS App

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping