[aprssig] GPS 18x PC for Kenwood radios

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 21:12:41 UTC 2012

On 6/18/2012 4:56 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
> Due to popular demand we're now carrying the Garmin GPS 18x PC pre-wired to
> connect directly to the Kenwood D710, D700, D7, and D72.  Power is supplied
> through a cigarette lighter plug.  It's nothing Earth-shattering, just a
> solid, reliable GPS receiver that's totally plug and play with Kenwood APRS
> radios.
> We'll also be offering a version for the Uniden Home Patrol scanner, with the
> tiny 4-pin connector.
> https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=161
> 73,
> Scott
> N1VG

1)    From the page linked above:

"This version of the GPS 18x includes a cigarette lighter adapter and a 3.5mm
plug that allows it to be connected directly to the Kenwood TM-D700, TM-D710,
TH-D7, and TH-D72 radios. The data cable is approximately 15 feet (5 meters) in
length. "

The Kenwoods need a  2.5mm plug!   Or is this a typo?

2)    What would a scanner do with a GPS?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

High-Performance Software-Only Packet TNC

High Quality Calibrated Static Maps for Any APRS App

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping