[aprssig] information of voice repeaters on APRS

PE1RDW aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Sat Mar 30 09:42:10 CDT 2013

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 15:29:32 +0100, Andrew P.  <andrewemt at hotmail.com>

> Hmmm....
> That's an interesting idea. APRS already has the generic RF-only queries
> ?IGATE and ?WX to find local I-gates and weather stations
> (respectively). Maybe we could define a new RF-only generic query ?RPTR
> which would cause all stations sending repeater objects to send them
> immediately (and thereby let the mobile user know about local repeaters
> without waiting for the periodic report).
> Or would this clog the channel from abuse of this query? It doesn't seem
> that ?IGATE and ?WX are being too badly abused, but those aren't station
> types that a user needs to explicitly know about "right now!".
> Just an idea.
> Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO

a TNC based digipeater night not be able to respond but a DigiNed based
digipeater (running on a PI or other small linux dos or windows pc) most
definatly can but I am not 100% sure if they can respond to general query
or only in directed messages, offcourse being open source and still
maintained it can easely be added if needed.

73 Andre PE1RDW