[aprssig] Msg reply path

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Oct 6 23:13:07 CDT 2013

On 10/6/2013 10:42 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:

> I've never configured a digi so I'm not at all sure of the details. However one
> explanation given to me was that WIDE1 is a different setting than WIDE2 inside
> the digis and needs to be setup differently.

See my article at

<  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths >

for the history and rationale behind the "double WIDEn-N path" ; i.e.
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 .

Short form:  Originally WIDE1-1 was handled no differently than higher values
of n-N.   More recently it HAS been handled differently in order to allow older
TNCs, that lack the smarts for decrementing WIDEn-N digipeating, to be used as
first-hop low-level home fill-in APRS digis.

So , assuming my understanding is
> correct, you might only want to setup SS7.  If you wanted to setup SS6 and SS5
> those would be additional paths setup inside the digi.

No.  As just explained in my previous post, you only set the base "callsign"
into the digi; i.e. SSn-N.   Any values of n and N received by the digi are
processed automatically by decrementing the value of "N" by one.

> But I sure could be wrong.
> Hmm, and indeed James VE6SRV had to manually configure the LLOYD digi to
> support SK for Saskatchewan prefix in addition to the already configured AB.

Which he would have done by setting

I.e. by specifying only the base pattern for the hop, not the explicit values
of n and N.    In turn the digi will respond to anything it hears (WIDE1-1,
WIDE3-2, AB7-4, SK6-4 or any other value) by decrementing the value of the
second digit (the -N) by one.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:   14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps