[aprssig] Ver 0.51 of UZ7HO Soundmodem Released
Stephen H. Smith
wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 00:32:05 CDT 2013
Apparently there were problems with the 0.50 release two days ago. It was
abruptly withdrawn from UZ7HO's website after just a few hours. Ver 0.51 has
now been posted.
For those that haven't used this application, it is an excellent
high-performance HF/VHF packet TNC, entirely in software, that uses a PC's
soundcard. It uses the same software interfaces as the AGW Packet Engine, and
will work in any application that uses AGWpe as a soundcard soft modem and that
uses the AGW TCP/IP interface , such as UIview, APRSpoint, APRS-IS32, etc.
(It won't work with vintage apps like WinPack that use the older DDE interface)
If your sound card has STEREO inputs, it can emulate a dual-port TNC like a KAM.
Note that even if you are using a hardware TNC, this can be a very useful tool
for monitoring what comes out of the other TNC. Just connect the audio output
of a scanner or VHF monitor radio to the audio input of your PC soundcard. (Or
place a PC's mic near the speaker of a radio monitoring packet.) The soundmodem
has a built-in receive-only terminal display that will show raw received
packets, even without an external APRS or packet app.
As usual, it can be downloaded from my website at:
Scroll about 3/4ths of the way down the list of downloadable stuff and look for
"UZ7HO-Soundmodem-Install-Ver-0.51-Beta.exe". Note that unlike the version
on Andrei's own website at:
that is a single .EXE file contained in a zipfile, the package on my site is a
full-blown Windows "wizard"-type installer that automatically creates a program
folder, entries in the Windows Start Menu, and includes several readme files
and a User Manual in .PDF form.
Comments from latest version of change log
SCM v0.51b changes:
- Limited the number of bits for bit recovery operation (only for undefined
state at three different levels of threshold comparator).
WARNING! Test showed this option may cause additional erroneous CRC collisions,
so use it at your own risk. By default is OFF
SCM v0.50b changes:
- Added single bit recovery feature
- Fixed transmission non-AX.25 frames to application (see option "NonAX25Frm"
in the INI file)
SCM v0.49b changes:
- Improved RX-part of the modem (improved ATC and added interpolation)
- Improved DCD for 1200 and 2400 bauds
- Fixed some bugs in the AX.25 L2-layer protocol
- Expanded features for non-standard AX.25 frames for SAT-operations.
SCM v0.45b changes:
- Added "6dB Pre-Emphasis filter" option.
Pre-Emphasis filter it's a high-pass filter that emphasizes the high
frequencies in the audio spectrum. Preemphasis increases the level of
high frequencies by 6dB per octave. It might help to receive signals
at 1200 and 2400 bauds if the frequency response of the receiver is not
- Added "UTCTime" option for indicate the time in UTC format. (1=On / 0=Off)
- Added "NRMonitorLines" option for limit number of lines "Monitor" window
- Improved compatibility with the AGWPE and MixW AX.25 Protocol (reduction of
and fixed some small bugs.
SCM v0.44b changes:
- Added "ExcludeCallsigns", "ExcludeAPRSFrmType" options for blocking unwanted
- Changed sound output in the SCO mode (now works in mono).
- By default, software is configured for single port.
- Added 2400 baud modem in the list.
Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
EchoLink: 14400 [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page: http://wa8lmf.net
Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
"APRS 101" Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
More information about the aprssig