[aprssig] "no sym yet" icon + compressed packets?

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sat Feb 15 17:30:31 CST 2014

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014, Paul Bramscher wrote:

> Might be handy if some of these APRS web sites offered a "really raw"
> version of the messages, encoding non-printable characters for debugging
> purposes.

Actually, aprs.fi does store the original binary packet that it received,
and in a storage format that is binary clean (NULL bytes are shown, and
all). The default "normal" raw packets view shows non-printable bytes in
pink hex codes, '<0x1c>' stands for one byte having value 1C, like here:

For other software developers there are also the hex dump view which
helps in counting the number of space/tab characters and such:

and the decoded view, displaying what our parser gets out of each packet:

Just toggle from the drop-down menu on the top.

Looking at the linked packets closely might reveal a couple of bugfixes,
but more on those in another email. :)

   - Hessu