[aprssig] Interesting APRS RF Behavior at Dayton....

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri May 16 17:00:52 CDT 2014

I currently have my special events UI-Webserver (normally used for balloon
launches) displaying all the RF activity within 6 miles of the Dayton
Hamvention.    See it at:

      <http://wa8lmf.net/map>    Click on the "Special Events" server link.

Note that I am filtering for a radius of 6 miles around the venue, while the
range scale of the map display is only 1 mile; i.e. the immediate vicinity of
the event.   Click the list of "All Stations Heard" below the map to see
stations at numerous motels in the area as well as actually at the Hara Arena.
Sixty-plus stations are currently being heard within 6 miles of Hara.....

Looking locally at the details in the "Stations Heard" list, I am noticing a
somewhat odd behavior.    There are two stations on-site at the Hara Arena
(venue of the Hamvention)serving as igates:   W8FSM-11 and ON6WFO-10 .  W8FSM
is also acting as a digipeater (god only knows why in this temporary patch of

However the vast majority of stations in the area are being igated by either
W8GUC (about 5.5 mi / 8.8 km north-east)  or W8VFR-1(about 20 mi / 32 km
southwest) of the arena.    Are the on-site igates so totally overloaded by the
2-meter RF onslaught that they aren't hearing anything?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps