[aprssig] APRSDROID on Samsung Galaxy5 no AX25 Decode

Dallas Clements dallas.clements at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 13:26:28 CDT 2015


Steve,

I can confirm from use that APRSDroid will decode packets appropriately
through the audio input on Android devices as I've done it with a HTC Evo
and Samsung Galaxy S3. I've used both extensively over the last two years
for RF work.

Given the fact that you're having the same problem on more than one device,
the problem may be with your cable or your radio. I know you said your
audio levels are good based on the in app sound level meter, but have you
listened to what the phone is receiving to make sure the quality of the
sound is good (it may be loud enough but completely distorted or broken
beyond the software's ability to decode)? If you're using a HT indoors or
inside a car, that scenario is very likely.

Two options to test this. One, get an audio connector with two female ends
and plug some headphones to the audio cable that you're using for this
setup and just listen to the frequency for a while. Two, use an audio
recording app on your phone/tablet to capture some samples of what your
radio and cable are passing along. If the quality of the audio is bad, you
know you're on the right track and you can perform further testing to
isolate the problem to your radio or your audio cable.

Let me know how that goes and I'll help you troubleshoot further.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in doing something like what Steve
has done, I've put together some instructions for using APRSDroid as a
virtual TNC and APRS display/interface as well as a video for tying
APRSDroid to an external Bluetooth TNC like the one from Mobilinkd. Steve,
if you ultimately hit a wall on this audio cable project, you might want to
give the Mobilinkd a look.

Hardwired Cell article - http://www.wcares.org/?page_id=2677
APRSDroid and Mobilinkd TNC video - https://youtu.be/eMMe63si2aY

Dallas
K7DCC
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:00 PM, <aprssig-request at tapr.org> wrote:


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Gladden <steve at michiganbroadband.com>
To: "aprssig at tapr.org" <aprssig at tapr.org>
Cc:
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:27:41 -0400
Subject: [aprssig] APRSDROID on Samsung Galaxy5 no AX25 Decode.

> **Possible Duplicate**
> I posted earlier before I realized I was not yet validated on the list..
> J
>
>
> Hi!
> I’m brand new to the forum.
> Am looking for help suggestions and next steps for my issue with APRSDROID
> on my Samsung Galaxy Android device.
> The software has always ran fine and everything works via the Internet
> just fine on it.
> However when trying to use AFSK on the audio ports TX works fine but it
> has never decoded a packet on the mic input.
> I have good source audio (packets) coming in and I can see the software
> itself is getting good audio level (blue audio input indication) but
> packets never decode.
> I’m pretty familiar with the  systems and have other hardware/software
> that works fine just to be clear that I am familiar with how this works and
> the basics.
> And maybe to help you help me a bit.
>
> Am looking for what can I try and next steps to trouble this.
> Device has plenty of CPU power and is getting good audio in but is not
> decoding any packets.
> Same audio source is of course decoding just fine on my other systems J
>
> I also sent an email to the author (AMRSDROID).
>
>
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
>
>
> *Steve Gladden*
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Steve Gladden <steve at michiganbroadband.com>
> To: Steve Gladden <steve at michiganbroadband.com>, TAPR APRS Mailing List <
> aprssig at tapr.org>
> Cc:
> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:07:01 -0400
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRSDROID on Samsung Galaxy5 no AX25 Decode.
>
> Also just installed APRSDROID on a single CPU Android tablet.
> It behaves exactly like my quad core newer faster Samsung Android Phone.
> All functions seem to work fine including AX25 TX out the speaker but NO
> decoding on mic input!
>
> I’m not finding any help whatsoever online so far for this APP.
>
> Am hoping there is a help or support group that can help out.
>
> Emailed and twitter’d the author so we shall see.
>
> Same problem across two complete different devices is curious.
> I’m wondering if the feature even works period at this point and if anyone
> sues APRSDROID for anything other than connecting to the Internet with it.
>
> Not even been a full 24 hour day yet since I posted so I need to be
> patient but am anxious to try something.. need data!
>
> Feeeeeed me!!!
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* aprssig [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] *On Behalf Of *Steve
> Gladden via aprssig
> *Sent:* Monday, August 3, 2015 1:28 PM
> *To:* aprssig at tapr.org
> *Subject:* [aprssig] APRSDROID on Samsung Galaxy5 no AX25 Decode.
>
>
>
> **Possible Duplicate**
> I posted earlier before I realized I was not yet validated on the list..
> J
>
>
> Hi!
> I’m brand new to the forum.
> Am looking for help suggestions and next steps for my issue with APRSDROID
> on my Samsung Galaxy Android device.
> The software has always ran fine and everything works via the Internet
> just fine on it.
> However when trying to use AFSK on the audio ports TX works fine but it
> has never decoded a packet on the mic input.
> I have good source audio (packets) coming in and I can see the software
> itself is getting good audio level (blue audio input indication) but
> packets never decode.
> I’m pretty familiar with the  systems and have other hardware/software
> that works fine just to be clear that I am familiar with how this works and
> the basics.
> And maybe to help you help me a bit.
>
> Am looking for what can I try and next steps to trouble this.
> Device has plenty of CPU power and is getting good audio in but is not
> decoding any packets.
> Same audio source is of course decoding just fine on my other systems J
>
> I also sent an email to the author (AMRSDROID).
>
>
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
>
>
> *Steve Gladden*
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Fred Hillhouse Jr <fmhillhouse at comcast.net>
> To: "'John Langner WB2OSZ'" <wb2osz at comcast.net>, "'TAPR APRS Mailing
> List'" <aprssig at tapr.org>
> Cc:
> Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 12:51:33 -0400
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Rasberry Pi APRS Igate?
> Thanks John! I had not seen this either.
> I am interested in trying this for a SatGate.
>
> Best regards,
> Fred N7FMH
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: aprssig [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf Of John Langner
> WB2OSZ via aprssig
> Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2015 10:38 PM
> To: aprssig at tapr.org
> Subject: [aprssig] Rasberry Pi APRS Igate?
>
> There are several different implementations available for building a
> receive-only APRS Internet Gateway (IGate) with only a Raspberry Pi and a
> software
> defined radio (SDR) dongle.  Here's one of them ...
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~wb2osz/Version%201.2/Raspberry-Pi-SDR-IGate.pdf
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> http://www.tapr.org/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> aprssig mailing list
> aprssig at tapr.org
> http://www.tapr.org/mailman/listinfo/aprssig
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/attachments/20150804/56ca1fc9/attachment.html>


More information about the aprssig mailing list