[aprssig] KISS TNC - Calibration function to set deviation correctly

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 15:34:21 CDT 2015

On 8/19/2015 1:55 PM, Mark Cheavens via aprssig wrote:
> In the past I have burned custom two configuration ROM's or swapped ROM's so
> that I could calibrate TNC's that are used in KISS mode.
> I am looking for a way to send 2200 and 1200 tones from a KISS mode (only) TNC
> to set the deviation correctly.
> - As an alternative I could "get by with" a long packet burst (5 seconds or
> more) from the TNC that I could repeat.
> - I primarily am using *nix distributions.
> (Google searches have led me nowhere...)
> Sincerely,
> Mark

Are these TNC-2 clone devices?

If so, make a "double-decker" ROM in a 27512 instead of a '256.   Put your KISS
code in one half and a standard TNC-2 TAPR 1.1.8 or 1.1.9 code with the cal
routine in the other half.   Grounding or +5VDC on pin 1 of the standard eprom
will select between the two halves of a 27512.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF