[aprssig] Dayton Onslaught Has Begun (Two Days Early)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 13 16:03:40 CDT 2015

[Wednesday     13 May 2015  17:00 EDT / 2000 UTC]

Even through the Dayton Hamvention doesn't start until Friday, the arrivals
have begun.

My live Dayton area UIwebserver map at

has been pretty quiet the last three or four days. It has now lit up in the
last two hours or so with lots of out-of-towners.

Note that this map is being generated from about 250 miles away via the APRS-IS
feed only filtered for the Dayton area; i.e.not off-the-air via RF.  As a
result, there may be even more activity that isn't showing,  due to the local
igates being overloaded by the traffic.

I've been tryng to PING the mobiles I see arriving. Less than 1 in 10 are
responding.  The rest are apparently dumb (or should I say DEAF) transmit-only

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF