[ax25-layer2] 7-byte address proposal

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Wed Aug 2 20:59:10 UTC 2006

Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> On 8/2/06, Gregg Wonderly <gregg at wonderly.org> wrote:
>
>> What would a kiss mode TNC present to the application?
>

> KISS TNCs (more accurately called NIUs, I suppose) just echo raw
> frames -- they do no address field comparisons or manipulation of any
> kind.

But what bytes would a KISS TNC see for a 7char ID packet as you propose?  How
would an application which uses KISS know not to process the bytes that it received?

There are a lot of KISS mode APRS stations for example, so how would they know
the packet is not for them?  As an asside, many may ignore the PID because they
assume (incorrectly) that there would only be one protocol on frequency.

Gregg Wonderly