[ax25-layer2] 7-byte address proposal

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 20:13:41 UTC 2006

On 8/3/06, Pete Loveall AE5PL <pete at ae5pl.net> wrote:
> A refinement which keeps it compatible with current V2.0 devices (few if any
> have ever actually implemented 2.2) would be to use a UI packet type with a
> PID of 0x30 (again, this PID is an arbitrary choice) for all packets which
> make use of 3.0 extensions.  Then, things like extended packets, XID,

OK, this makes sense now -- this is like tunneling IPv6 inside of
IPv4.  :)  Kinda.  Sorta.  You know what I mean.  :)

Yes, this would be agreeable to me too.  All that remains is to
standardize the header extension structure.

> modulo-128, ECC, and 7+ character addresses (lets quit calling them
> callsigns since that term is implied but not mandated in the spec) can be

Agreed.  Indeed, they could just as well be Ethernet MAC addresses or
something.  As long as room is made for the address extension bit,
that's all that matters.

> PS: 10 people trying to figure out a solution to a new issue does not IMO
> constitute "pain and suffering".  Just keeping things in perspective :-)

<8~O  My toe would like to disagree with you!  While going for the
printout of the AX.25 v2.2 specs I have, I stubbed it.  So, there!  ;D

--
Samuel A. Falvo II