[ax25-layer2] PID field for segmented L3 frames

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 02:23:34 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06, Gregg Wonderly <gregg at wonderly.org> wrote:
> Are you going to provide a reassembly with ordering and related timeouts?

In the first couple of releases, probably not.  I want to make sure I
get basic frame handling right first.  In later versions, segmentation
and re-assembly (SAR for short, to borrow the phrase from ATM
literature) would be included, but it would likely only work on
computers with OSes capable of supporting dynamically allocated
memory.  It likely won't fit into a microcontroller-sized project.

Though, at this point, I doubt that OpenAX.25 will fit into an
ATmega16 or smaller microcontroller either.  The pseudo-code I wrote
previously was inspired by uIP, and is a highly minimal IP
implementation.  An AX.25 implementation that fully supports the 2.2
specification will be much, much bigger than that.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II