[ax25-layer2] FX.25 presentation

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Tue Sep 12 05:34:25 UTC 2006

> I'll be presenting a proposed spec for encapsulation of AX.25
> packets with
> FEC at the TAPR DCC.  I would have posted this proposal here,

Hi Jim,

I saw your talk on the schedule - you've got the slot right before me.  It
caught my eye because I was thinking of something very similar myself a
couple of months ago, mostly for APRS.  Looks like you've given it a little
more thought than me - I hadn't really thought much about the impact of bit
stuffing on FEC.

Why transmit the padding bytes?  Can't you just assume the unused portion of
the FEC block to be filled with a known value?

My idea was simply to transmit RS(255,239) correction data after the
terminating HDLC FLAG of the packet.  I'll have to read over your paper in
more detail when I get a chance.

Scott
N1VG